Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What is Modesty? Part 2

If you didn't read the first part of this thought, "What is Modesty?", you can do so here.  


photo credit
God created the world and then He dressed it with BEAUTIFUL flowers, trees and wild life.  Do you think He's going to ask less of you?  Do you really think He'll ask you to wear boring, ugly clothes?  He loves you and He wants the best for you!  Including your clothes!!  You may be surprised at the way you feel and look once you've given Him control of your closet!!

Yesterday, we talked about the idea of modesty.  The attitude behind it.  The willingness to honor and glorify God, and not ourselves, through our clothes.  Today we will look up verses that talk about how God feels about modesty.  :)  Hang on, here we go....

What does God say about modesty??


The only time you find the word "modest" used in the Bible is I Timothy 2:9 ~ In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in MODEST apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;


So, what does God say about Modesty Nakedness?





Isaiah 47:2 - 3 ~ ...Uncover the locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.  Thy NAKEDNESS shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen...  (obviously God considers it shameful to be naked.  And, I think it's also fairly obvious that He considers the thigh as something to be covered.)

Some will argue that we don't live under the Old Testament Laws anymore.  And they would be correct.  We live under grace.  BUT, if you study those laws, most of them were given for the safety and health of God's people because He loved them.  They were also given as a schoolmaster.  They were there to show the people that they couldn't be good enough to get to Heaven on their own.  They needed something more.  Much more than their own goodness to get to Heaven.  {Galatians 3:24}

So, let's go to the New Testament for our Modesty Guidelines:
Hebrews 13:8 ~ Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever.  {Psst...He still considers the thigh something that should be covered and I think He really feels this way since He was so careful to warn them to wear longer garments when doing such things as going up ramps and stairs. ~  Exodus 20:26}

Romans 14:13 ~ Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.   Ladies, you and I may not understand how a man thinks or feels when he sees a woman's nakedness, but arguing won't change the way he thinks and feels.  If this is such a battle for them, why should we ladies become a stumbling block to them because "well, that's something they have to deal with"?  I've even heard ladies say things like, "well, I guess they're going to have to get their minds out of the gutter".   Matthew 18:7 ~  Woe onto the world because of offenses!  for it must needs be that offenses come; but woe to that man {or woman} by whom the offense cometh!  I don't know about you, but I don't want to be a part of that "woe"!

I have 2 "Dress Rules" for my girls: 
  1. Modest.  We don't show our "feminine parts".  This includes cleavage and thighs or anything in between.  :)  I don't have a problem with curves either.  God made us with curves and I don't think we should try to hide them in baggy clothing.  I think our clothes should fit us nicely.  Not too baggy - definitely not too tight!!
  2. Feminine.   I want my girls to look as feminine as possible everywhere they go ~ even from a distance.  Cute, girly, classy, neat, pretty, colorful, accessorized...  I don't {personally} have a problem with makeup or jewelry.  In fact, I love it!  The only issue would be when you start to draw attention to yourself due to access amounts.  Less is definitely more, but some is a good thing!!
 Because we try to be as feminine as possible, we wear skirts to do just about everything...just about.  :)  We also fix our hair and wear cute little bows.  We do our nails and we look as feminine as we can!  Being a girl is so much fun!! 

The problem is that you can't wear a skirt and be modest on a horse, or at the gym.  Some would say that ladies shouldn't be doing these things if they can't do them and be modest in a skirt.  I, personally, disagree. So, then you want to know what to wear while doing these things?  I say:  ask your husband!!  He knows what he likes and he knows how men think when they see you wearing whatever it is he's recommending.  {If you don't have a husband that's concerned with modesty and what other men think of you, then pray about it all and do what you feel comfortable with.  I do NOT suggest you ask any other man what he thinks - no matter what or who he is!!  It may cause thoughts and feelings that shouldn't exist.  God will show you what He has for you.  God will help you if you ask Him for help.} 

More of my opinion:  Skirts and culottes are NOT MODEST when you're hanging upside down on the monkey bars!!  I don't usually have a problem in this area, but I have a house full of girls that tend to forget these things.  So, do I send them out to play in a skirt or baggy culottes to show the world everything they have the first time they hang upside down, do a cartwheel, or fall off their bikes?  I don't.  My husband has no problems with them wearing boy's cargo shorts, or basketball shorts.  They don't fall down around their heads, yet, they aren't skin tight, and don't show off more than they should.  They cover the leg to the knee.  The girls can play and not worry about showing anything.  The girls are much MORE modest in them in our opinion.  


This is only to play.  To go out to the store or anything else, we try our best to always wear the most feminine things we have.  I've found that it's easier to train my girls to be ladies while wearing a skirt.  Put them in a pair of shorts and they sit like boys!!  {I hate strongly disapprove of that!!}   Ugh!


This is simply how we do things at our house.  I know plenty of ladies that don't share my opinions.  Some think I am crazy on the conservative side.  Others think I need to step it up a bit.  {I'm certainly willing to change the way I live or what I wear if it's based on the Bible and makes God happy with my life.}  The beauty of it all is that God loves us and he's still working on us!!  What a wonderful God we serve!!  

Click here for another great testimony by a lady that started wearing skirts all the time.  I loved it and wanted to share it with you!  It's all about how and why she started wearing skirts every day.  It's called "She Wears Skirts - Why Skirts?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We'd love to invite you to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments: