Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What is Modesty? Part 1

Modesty is, in my opinion, just like everything else in life.  We know what so-and-so thinks.  We know what we like.  We know what our friends are wearing.

Everyone has a different opinion.  But none of that matters.  The only thing that really matters is what God thinks of us and how we dress.

So many people.  So many differing opinions.  Do they all come from God?

Who am I to say that mine does and yours doesn't?   I would be wrong to do that.  The truth is that we are all on a journey.  None of us have 'arrived'.  God is patiently taking each us from where we are now to where He wants us to be. 

To have a truly surrendered life we must be willing to do, go and endure - or wear - whatever God wants us to.  We must be willing to give up a few things.  We must be willing to go through things we may not enjoy.  A surrendered life means we are thankful when God send us troubles like sickness and pain because we know that God is in control and He will get the glory.  A surrendered person says, "Lord, this is all I have, do with it as You see fit".  This includes houses and children, money and friends, and yes, even our clothes

Have you ever surrendered your wardrobe to God?  Have you ever asked Him if He likes what you have in your closet?   He may not lead you to do what I feel is right for me. He may lead you to do MORE.  Whatever He leads you to do - do it!  Do it with a happy heart and a right spirit and He will bless you for it.

Maybe He just wants to know if you are willing to do what He asks?  Maybe you are right where you need to be in this area of modesty? 

I strongly believe that the will of God for your life is an every day thing.  Not a distant "someday" thing.  What does God want you to do today?  Are you doing it?  What does He have for you to accomplish?  Who does He have for you to encourage?  What does He want you to wear?

Sound crazy?

You see, God loves us each the same and He has a plan for our lives.  The thing is, our lives are made up of individual days.  Sometimes we think today - or even this minute - doesn't matter.  But it does.  This day is part of the days that make up your life.  Are you living it in the will of God?  Are you being the example He wants you to be?

So, my answer to the question, "What is Modesty?" is this:  It's a heart condition.  It's a willingness to surrender myself and my clothes to God.  It's a desire to dress in a way that glorifies Him and not me.

And, let's face it, if you wear what I think you should wear simply because I think you should, you are dressing for the wrong reasons and God is not involved.  You must personally ask Him what He wants you to wear.  He will answer you!! He will show you.

photo credit
God created the world and then He dressed it with BEAUTIFUL flowers, trees and wild life.  Do you think He's going to ask less of you?  Do you really think He'll ask you to wear boring, ugly clothes?  He loves you and He wants the best for you!  Including your clothes!!  You may be surprised at the way you feel and look once you've given Him control of your closet!!

Join us for "What is Modesty?  Part 2" tomorrow!!  I hope this will be an encouragement and maybe even a little food for thought as we each strive to please God in our personal lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We'd love to invite you to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes God has us do things that may seem silly to us just to see if we will be obedient. : ) There is a song that we sing at our church: I'll say Yes, Lord, yes, to Your will and to your way. I'll say Yes, Lord, yes, I will trust You and obey. When Your spirit speaks to me, with my whole heart I'll agree, and my answer will be "Yes, Lord, yes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love that song, Mama Melly!! "With my WHOLE HEART I'll agree". That's the hard part. But it's so worth it - in ever area!!! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is fabulous!!! I really am conscious about how I dress. I like to look nice, but I"m also thinking about what image I"m projecting to the outside word. Yes, I do want to be a witness to God, even in how I dress, too :) :) I'm looking forward to reading more in this series :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you stated that modesty is a heart issue. Not that God knows our hearts so that's a ticket to wear what we please, but because our hearts are given to the Lord. When we give our hearts to Him, we want to please Him in everything including the clothes we were! Can't wait for part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank u
    This is sooo encouraging! We can all be bogged down with the "topic" of modesty hiw whys ect. God is my plumb line man is not and for my family we strive for modesty in all...we are not perfect so yuppers we fail. But God is an awesomr God and is able to still teach me guide me love me forgive me correct me as long as i let him! Thank u for this post!

    ReplyDelete