Saturday, May 14, 2011

Potty Training - The Fun Way!

Most parents (who am I kidding?)...most MOMS don't look forward to the potty training days.  I could list a thousand reasons why it's not a fun thing to do.  But I won't. 

In stead, I'm going to tell you about a fabulous book!  I had a friend recommend a book.  I read the book.  I followed the book, and guess what!?  That sweet little girl was actually potty trained in LESS THAN A DAY!!  It works.  It's awesome.  You will feel like the best parent in the world when you are finished.  Not only that, but your child will feel pretty proud too.

Oh, did I forget to mention that this method teaches and trains children to take themselves to the potty, to clean up after themselves and NOT to come and get you every time they use the potty!  It's amazing!  You have to read this book!  {AND it really is fun, too!}
  
Some things to remember:
  • You are re-training your child to use the potty instead of his diaper where he's been led to believe it's completely acceptable..
  • Your child will do better if he knows how to obey the first time he's told.  {You will working one-on-one with your child and giving simple instructions the whole time you are training.}
  • You will had out rewards for DRY pants and NOT for using the potty.  The goal of this book is to help the child keep his pants dry by using the potty when it's necessary.  This way the child is excited to show you his DRY pants because he already took care of his business himself.  He won't be asking you to take him to the potty every time he needs to go!
  • Your child will be taught to clean up any accidents he may have himself, which teaches responsibility and helps you too.  {I was always careful to clean up after my children did just because of the nature of the accident...} 
  • Your child will be taught to raise and lower his pants himself so that he can go to the potty on his own.
  • Your child will be given special treats and rewards every few moments to keep his mind on the training and to help him feel successful.
  • You will be spending a whole day with your child - just the 2 of you.  He will enjoy being alone with you and having you all to himself and I think you will too.  {I did!}
  • There are a list of questions and people to bring up every 2 or 3 minuets to keep his mind focused on what you're doing in the book.  
  • There is food and lots of special drinks involved to make it even more fun!
  • You will need a doll that wets it's self so that you can show your child with the doll what is expected of him.  Then you turn the tables and have your child train the doll.  Once he has successfully trained the doll you know that he understands the process and then he will be a little better at doing it himself.
  • There is no "discipline" involved with this method.  Simply learning/teaching/rewarding and LOTS of practice!  
By the end of the day, your child will understand the whole method and he will have been successful at using the potty at least a few times.  The next 2 or 3 days you child will need to be reminded to keep his pants dry.  If he has an accident, he will be required to "practice running to the potty", clean up his mess,  and change his own pants.  

My first had it completely figured out by the end of the first day.  She had an accident later that evening because she went outside to play and just didn't take the time to use her potty {which I had placed outside with her...no one could see, I promise!}  I did give her a little "reminder" and that was all it took.  She never had another accident.  She did wet her bed for about a year, but then she outgrew that and was done.  I couldn't believe how easy it was!

Our second had kidney reflux which caused some problems.  I used the same method with her, and it worked in her brain, but physically, she just wasn't able to do it.  Her kidneys would back up and overflow and before she even knew she had to go she was wet and so was everything else.  I put her diapers when we were out.  I'd take her to the potty when she needed to, but beside that we didn't worry about it for about a year.  Then I trained her again using this method and she got it.  Her doctor was shocked and I was thrilled!  She was too.  She even stopped wetting the bed.  She was my only kid that never wet the bed.

Our third was a boy and he took me about 3 days.  I was a little worried because of the "outdoor plumbing" {I'd never had any experience with potty training little boys}.  And I didn't have a doll for training.  Somehow the rubber duck just didn't do as well as the baby doll.  =)  But he did "get it" within 3 days.  4 years later he is still wetting the bed, but I'm pretty sure he'll out grow that before he graduates High School.  {I think it's more common for little boys to wet the bed longer than little girls.}

Our 4th did just as well as the oldest.  She wasn't as determined, but I think she knew I was so she was trained in a day too.  She had a few more accidents in the days following "training day", but she figured out pretty quick that she was just adding to her own work load when she did that.  She has just recently stopped wetting the bed.  YAY!!

Toilet Training in Less than a Day by Nathan Azrin ~ it definitely works!!  I STRONGLY recommend it.  This book will make your life easier, potty training MUCH shorter and, your child will be thrilled with his/her accomplishments.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're new here at Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to stick around and hang out a while!  You can hook up with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can chose to have our post sent directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is linked to:
Raising Mighty Arrows

5 comments:

  1. I am def going to use this w/my twins! I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Please do! I'd love to know how it goes with you. I love anything that makes life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, that's great Angela. I'm glad you had positive response from all of your children using this method. Maybe I should give this a try to finish off the little guy! Thank you for sharing and for linking up with us. Blessings xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I think you will like this method. It takes several hours of diligent training and practice, but it's better than days of torture {for mom and kid}. =D I actually thought it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son had so many medical issues and so he was delayed when it came to walking, talking, and potty training. We had to take everything step by step with him. Potty training was last on our list because it just didn't seem as important as walking or talking. My son was 4 and half when I introduced potty training. He got it right away! He was potty trained within hours and never had an accident and he has never wet the bed. He's 11 now and and he's doing great! I think so many people feel pressured if their child isn't potty trained at 18 months. I feel blessed that I was able to take things slower with my son.

    ReplyDelete