Thursday, November 3, 2011

Being Thankful - A Heart Condition

Being thankful is much more than being content with your life.  It's loving others because of your blessings and being a blessing because you have been blessed.  

I Thessalonians 5:18 ~ In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

 Someone once said, "The heart of the problem is the problem of the heart." 

Matthew 12:34 ~ Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

The words we speak and the way in which they are spoken are indications of what is inside our hearts.  Your words come out of your mouth but they come from your heart.  What do your words say about your attitude?  

Obviously, we should be thankful all year long, but this being November, we are focusing on being thankful here at Hidden Treasures.  So what do your words say about the inside of your heart?  Are you loving, kind and thankful?  Do you say "thank you" when someone hands you something, opens a door or pays you a compliment?

Better still, are you thankful enough for others around you {your children, husband and friends} to open doors and pay them compliments??  Instead of expecting to be treated graciously, we should treat others in such a way that they understand that we love and appreciate them. 

When my daughter folds towels, I just know that the hall closet will no longer be neat.  The towels will be forcibly put in there and the folds will not all be on the same side. {which drives me NUTS!} I have a decision to make.  I can be thankful that she folded and put away towels for me or I can fuss at her about how sloppy the closet is.  Considering she is only 4, I have decided to be thankful that she's willing to help and praise her for her efforts.

The same goes when she's washing dishes.  She usually always ends up drenched.  Along with the floor, the counter and every thing else in between.  I must decide if I will be thankful that she loves to play in the water with me - or as we call it, wash dishes.  Or, if I'm going to fuss at her for making a big mess even bigger.  Because I'm so thankful that she's learning to do these things and that we can have fun at the same time and because I'm glad she's mine and proud of her {her personality is way bigger than any mess she could ever make!} I have decided to let her help on certain nights.  Like on nights when the floor needs to be mopped...  And then it's all good!!  Everyone's happy and more importantly no one is discouraged or offended because mommy didn't think they were good enough.  

Being thankful is not always about being thankful for the things others do for us.  That's a small part of it.  But being thankful goes beyond that and involves us being nice to others because we are thankful for them and the friendship they offer.  

What can you do today to show someone that you are thankful for them??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're new to Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to stay a little while and look around.  You can connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post! It seems to be in a theme of things God's sending my way as I prepare for the upcoming holidays. I found another good blog idea for teaching kids that "thanksgiving" is both thankfulness and giving, I've listed the link below. Hope you enjoy!

    http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/2008/10/thanks-and-giving.html?spref=fb

    ReplyDelete