Monday, January 9, 2012

Alcohol Free Hand Sanitizer

Winter time is a great time to share things like germs and viruses.  None for me, thanks!

Shaking hands at church, using a public bathroom, {did you know the sinks in a public bathroom have more germs than most of the toilets in our homes??} pushing the grocery cart, and changing diapers - all of these are things that aid in the spreading of viruses, colds and flus. 

I love to have a hand sanitizer that I can use - especially in public bathrooms and after hand shaking time at church.  But we already have a dry skin problem at our house, and the winter air makes it all the worse.  Add an alcohol based hand sanitizer to the list and you will have very dried out - not to mention ouchy hands!

{Alcohol based sanitizers must have an alcohol concentration of at least 60% to do it's job.}

Try this homemade hand sanitizer that will add vitamins, minerals and moisture to your skin while killing germs including H1N1, e-coli and others. 

You will need:
  • (1) 12 ounce bottle of 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel {It must be clear and say 100% on the bottle!}
  • 3/4 teaspoon of Tea Tree Oil
  • Witch Hazel
In a glass bowl, mix Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil.  Then add witch hazel until you have the consistency you want your sanitizer to be.

All of these things can be found at your local Wall-Mart.  If you'd like to add other essential oils, you may need to try a health food store or a GNC.  

The more Tea Tree Oil you use, the stronger the antibacterial qualities your hand sanitizer will have.  The smell of the tea tree oil can be overwhelming, so you may want to add other essential oils such as citrus, lavender or cedar wood to improve the scent.

I am not an herbalist or a doctor.  Do your research!  Be sure you and your family members are not allergic to any of these items before you/they use them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are so glad to have you here at Hidden Treasures.  We'd love to have you connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is linked to:

The Barn Hop 

day2day joys

17 comments:

  1. ok, this is a neat idea! My hands HATE the alcohol based stuff, not to mention the smell is overwhelming :) We use hand sanitizer for my potty training son also so he doesnt get up near the bathroom counter and play in the water :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!! came from the link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I really will have to try it, as we happen to have some 100% aloe vera hanging out in our cupboard. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really neat! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have all these things on hand, right now, and think I am going to make some up. What do you keep yours in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just put mine back in the aloe bottle and labled it so we'd all know what it is. I also put it in smaller containers for my girls to keep in their purses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love this! My daughter and I have sensitive skin and this is the only stuff we can use other then Method which costs more then this does to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you love this!! Thanks for the comment! Love to hear from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much witch hazel did you use? I have all of this at home. With cold & flu season here, I would love to get this out around my home and in my kids backpacks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not exactly alcohol free if you use drug store witch hazel, which is prepared in an alcohol base. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hand sanitizer can also be used for nose digger. there are many people who lack cleanness in them. they don't even care about people watching them. I really hate such type of people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beside witch hazel, can these dilluted with rose water?

    ReplyDelete
  13. How much of the witch hazel do I need ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made this...The smell is really strong. But it's better than the alternatuve...NONE we seems to be national average...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just made this...The smell is really strong. But it's better than the alternatuve...NONE we seems to be national average...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just made this...The smell is really strong. But it's better than the alternatuve...NONE we seems to be national average...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The aloe I have is green (colorant Im sure) can I still use it? Clear is IMPOSSIBLE to find right now with covid-19

    ReplyDelete