"Obtained promises" means they claimed God's promises and they believed that He would do what He said He would do. They held Him to His promises and they waited in faith until their prayers were answered. We can do the same! We "obtain" the promises of God when we see our request answered and the promises that He made fulfilled!!
First, Oliver B. Green said, "there are two conditions here that must be met if we expect God to keep His promise: First, "If ye abide in me" and second, "If...my words abide in you." (John 15:7 ~ If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.) Simply put, we must live our lives with the knowledge that He is with us every second. We must keep our hearts clean before Him.
Second, we must pray in His will. (1 John 5:14-15 ~ And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: and if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.)
Third we must ask in faith. Believing that He will answer. Because He's God. (Matthew 21:22 ~ And all things whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.)
Last, we have to pray for the right reasons. (James 4:3 ~ Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask a miss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.) In other words, you can't just ask for a million dollars and expect God to grant it. You have to pray within His will and with the right motives.
Here are a few of the promises that I'm planning to obtain:
- (John 14:13-14; 15:7;16 & 16:23-24) I'm claiming these promises that HE will answer my prayer requests!!!!
- (Matthew 18: 14 & 19:14) I'm claiming these promises that my children will be saved because it's God's will and He promised that if I pray for them in His will (and it is) and in His name than it will be done! I'll be very excited to obtain those promises!
- (Psalm 92:13-14 and 144:12) I'm claiming the promise that my children will flourish if I raise them in the way of the Lord. This is also God's will. More than anything I want my children to develop a sincere desire to please God. This is a promise that I need to obtain!
- (Colossians 3:23-24) I'm claiming the promise that God will reward me for the service that I do. I don't need the approval of men when God is the One who rewards!
- (Philippians 4:7) I'm claiming the promise that God will give me peace and strength when I need it.
- (Philippians 4:19) I'm claiming the promise that God will provide the things that I need. He may not always give me things that I want. But He has never let us go without things we truly need! He is our Father, and He enjoys providing for us. He knows what we need and want. I am convinced that sometimes he just wants to hear it from us.
- (Hebrews 13:5; Deuteronomy 31:6; Joshua 1:5) I'm claiming the promise that He will never leave us nor forsake us! ME - He will not leave Me, nor forsake me. Even when others do - and they will. You can trust Him to be there!