Monday, March 7, 2011

Tombstone, Arizona

The best moments I've spent are those that I've spent with my family.  Jeremy and the children.  This past weekend we were blessed to be able to go to Tombstone, AZ.  Not only were we able to spend some quality time with our children, but we were able to catch up with some old friends from Crown College and make some new friends too.  What a wonderful weekend God gave us!  I'm sad it's over now, but happy that I can share some of it with you.

I was so encouraged to see how God is working in the lives of our friends (both old and new) and to think of what He can do with us to if we let Him.  God is so good!  Here is a little of what we got to do:

We went to Boothill, which is the cemetery in which some of the gun fighters from the OK Corral were buried.
These 4 tombstones read (Left to right): 1) Billy Clanton Killed Oct. 26, 1881  2) Frank McLaury Killed Oct. 26, 1881  3) Tom McLaury killed Oct. 26, 1881  4) Billy Clanton, Frank McLaury, Tom McLaury killed on the streets of Tombstone 1881

These are the graves (above) of the 3 gun fighters that fell at the famous OK Corral in Tombstone, AZ.  I love history. This was all so exciting to me...and I've been there before. 

 This grave marker reads, "Here lies George Johnson, hanged by mistake.  1882 He was right, we was wrong, but we strung him up and now he's gone".  (that's a bad day)

We were able to learn a lot about the "Wild West" and some of the things that went on in and around 1881.  


Let's just say, What happens in Tombstone, AZ, stays in Boothill cemetery...if you know what I mean... ;)  
I don't have a picture of it, but we even got to see the stump of the tree where this lynching took place.  (The only one that happened in Tombstone.  From the sound of it, everyone was shot in the streets before they even had a chance to be lynched...think of the money this must have saved the tax payers! =)  In fact, we were given a free tour from one of the nicest men you will ever meet.  (It was so nice to get to know Bro. Tommy and his family.)  

 I think anyone who loves history and/or home schools (talk about a field trip!) should go to Tombstone and see/hear all the history that took place there if you ever get a chance.  It's a great way to get children interested in their history.  We even ate at a restaurant that used to be part of the jail in 1881.  (that's what the waiter told my kids)  There is so much to see and do in the West!  So much to learn.  I think it's definitely worth the trip.  

Lexxi and Meg-Kate with the desert for a back drop

We were also able to go to the First Baptist Church of Tombstone where a friend of ours is the Pastor.  We were able to stay with some wonderful, encouraging, new friends.  They opened their home to us and fixed us some of the best tasting meals we've had.  We felt so welcomed and at home.  It really was such a wonderful weekend.  Mrs. Liz even took the time to teach my kids how to make chocolate-covered-Oreo-candy-cookie-thingies...that's not what she called them,  I'm not really sure what they are called.  But the kids had great fun and lots of sugar...so much for moderation, right?  It was all worth it!  I'm so glad we went and I'm looking forward to seeing them all again some day.  God was so good to us even when we don't deserve it. 

Something you may not know:  The 3 law men of the OK Corral were "Doc" Holiday, Wyatt Earp and Virgil Earp.  Wyatt out lived the other two and finally made his way to Hollywood where he trained the famous John Wayne how to act like a real cow boy.  I thought that was kinda' neat and then...if you ever watch the movie "Tombstone" you should remember that none of the Law Men left the town penniless.  They left with lots of money...and Wyatt did carry a gun regardless of what Hollywood portrays.  Get it straight, people!   =D 
(I do love history!)

2 comments: