Monday, March 7, 2011

The Conversion of Geronimo

Did you guys know that Geronimo, the famous Apache did indeed accept Jesus as his personal Saviour?  This is the story we were told....

Geronimo was captured and finally taken to OK where a certain Baptist missionary (I don't remember the man's name) visited him every week for almost 13 years.  One day the missionary was out and about and decided to stop by and see Geronimo since he happened to be in the area.  The man went in and with tears in his eyes said, "Geronimo, won't you accept Jesus as your Saviour?".  Geronimo answered simply, "yes".  Shocked, the missionary said, "Geronimo, I'm happy that you want to be saved, by why today, why not the other days?"  Geronimo replied, "For the past 12 years you've told me about Jesus.  Today you showed me Jesus".

I thought this was an amazing story.  This makes me wonder just how often I show the love of God.  We can tell people about Jesus, but until we start to love people the way Jesus does we will get no where...   Just think you will see Geronimo in Heaven some day...if YOU have received Jesus as YOUR SAVIOUR!!

3 comments:

  1. My great great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee Indian... a big ol' woman who married a tiny little white man. I don't know her story but I've seen pictures. She lived on a reservation. I do know that somewhere along the lines, whether with her generation or one after that, Jesus came in to the lives of people in my family. I'm thankful that, despite the hardships my ancestors went through, many of them were saved! Praise the Lord for the missionaries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story.

    A member of the Northern Cheyenne has written a gospel tract version of the conversion of Geronimo. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete