Wednesday, February 22, 2012

She Worketh Willingly...

Proverbs 31 ~
She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands...she considereth a field...buyeth it...planteth a vineyard...perceiveth that her merchandise is good...layeth her hands to the spindle...maketh fine linen, and selleth it...delivereth girdles unto the merchant...

This "Virtuous Woman" was not any one, particular, un-named woman, rather, she was an idea that was presented to King Solomon by his mother, Bathsheba.  Any mother that's worth anything at all, will do her best to teach her son what he should look for in a wife.  And how thrilling that God would use a woman such as Bathsheba - a woman who was less than virtuous - to teach us all the kind of character traits a woman of virtue should possess!!  God is so good like that - to use us in ways we are not qualified!

I think we can safely assume that this "virtuous woman" did more than stay home and clean the house.  Not that that's a bad thing to do.  But, I do think we should do that and then some....like make money.  Obviously, this woman did a lot of work.  She wasn't week or simple-minded.  She was a sturdy, smart, well balanced woman.  She kept her house clean, her family fed and, I think, we can imagine that there was more money around the house because of her - not less. 

I have 4 children.  3 of them are girls.  I've decided to start a small home business so that they can learn how to work, manage {and save} money, run a business and care for their homes at the same time.  It is my hope that they will learn now how to do these things and then, someday, when they are married, they will know how to go about starting their own business and they'll have experience to back it up.

It's amazing how God has blessed and provided so far!  And He can do the same for you!


What can you do to make money from your home??
  • Teach piano or voice
  • Sew
  • Bake/decorate cakes
  • Grow/sell flowers and aragenments
  • Raise puppies
  • Raise bees/honey
  • Clean houses
  • Cut hair
  • Homemade jams and jellies
  • Homemade candles
  • Homemade soaps
  • Umm, ....blog... =)
  • Any kind of crafts...jewelry, home decor,Christmas ornaments, hairbows
  • Photography
  • Swimming lessons
  • Child care
  • E-bay
  • Scrap-booking {I've seen ladies make ridiculous amounts of money selling pre-made scrap book pages on E-bay!}
Some questions to ask yourself before deciding what avenue to to take:
  1. What do I enjoy doing?
  2. What am I good at?
  3. What would I like to learn?
  4. What can my kids do along with me?
Find something you love to do and give it a shot.  If it doesn't work out, at least you tried.  You'll never know till you try...!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're new to Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is linked to:
Your Thriving Family

4 comments:

  1. It is very important to set a good example for your girls. My now adult daughters have commented on how through our travelling days when they were young I would find many different ways to make an income. Writing, sewing, childcare,... it all added up, but most of all it showed my daughters that women can be very resilient and adaptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! I try to tell my girls that we need to be feminine, but this does NOT meat weak and helpless or silly and ditsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog via the Weekend Whatever link-up :) :) I really enjoyed your post. I'm a single lady, but I"m really trying to embrace the whole Proverbs 31 and Titus 2 lady :) :) One of the things I've been looking into is how to earn money from home to bring in supplemental income for my family :) :) How did you do it? Did you pray about it before you started? What were your biggest obstacles? So many questions :) :) In any case, have a great Sunday tomorrow. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Heather!

    Thank you for the questions! I prayed about it. I tried a few different things...nothing seemed to work...and then this all just started falling into place....

    I had an idea...I prayed about it...I kept praying and every time I'd start to go for it, it would work...finally!! I think God just wanted to teach me that I have to wait for Him and when He's ready, HE will do it! =D

    ReplyDelete