Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT a germ-a-phobe. I just don't see any reason to drag a sick kid out when they don't feel well and their immune systems are already compromised. I'm not against doctors either. We had an issue recently with our oldest that required some serious testing. God in His mercy, was good to us and allowed the doctors to find the problem, which turned out to be much less of an issue than we were warned it may have been in the beginning. Our second daughter lived her first couple of weeks in the NICU, so I definitely think that a good doctor is something to be desired. But I don't think we should all run to the store to buy up all the cough syrups and medicines that simply mask the problem and then cause side affects to boot.
So, these past weeks I've had 3 sickies. Two of the girls were sick with fevers, headaches and sore throats. Wesley had all that plus an ear infection.
This is what I did: I ran out of garlic oil. (Not helpful!) So, I called a friend who knows more than I do about such things. (Very helpful!)
1) We put slices of garlic cloves and some warm (but NOT hot, you don't want to burn the child) olive oil in the infected ear and "corked" it with a cotton swab. Be sure the garlic cloves are not so small that they would get stuck in the ear canal...or you may end up at the doctor's office for other reasons. Garlic is an excellent way to boost your immune system and draw out the infection. (It would be easier to put a little garlic oil in the ear, but since I didn't have any...)
2) I gave Wesley some Kyolic Garlic Immune which is an immune booster as well. He took one in the morning and one before bed every day for 10 days. (Thank you, Shari, for sharing your stash with me!) It worked and now he's good as new. The others were given Echinacea-Golden Seal Complex twice a day. Even those who were not sick. (I wanted to nip this in the bud!)
Some other ideas for killing bugs and viruses:
1) Apple Cider Vinegar...give a teaspoon in some honey or some orange juice when you think you may have come in contact with germs. It kills the germs, and the first time you drink it you may think it's going to kill you. It's pretty bad tasting. But it does the job and a whole lot more.
2) Colloidal silver appears to be a strong, effective antibiotic and infection preventative. It is believed to suffocate bacteria and other organisms without harming humans.
3) Grape Fruit Seed Extract is a really great one to try too.
That's what I've learned (some I already knew) this past month. We simply tried to do the natural, sensible thing...and it worked! No waiting in line for a doctor. I love things that make my life easier...and are GOOD for my family!
If you're new here at Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to stick around and hang out a while! You can hook up with us on Facebook or Twitter. Or you can chose to have our post sent directly to your E-mail or RSS feed. Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!