Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Lord and I Make a Majority!

Dan and Cricket Young have been missionaries in Panama for over 25 years.  {To me they are Bro. and Mrs. Young}  I knew them when I was a teenager and the Military had us living in the country of Panama just after "Just Cause".  
I remember going to their home on more than one occasion and I believe that it was Bro. Young who preached the night I surrendered to full time service!  So, without further ado I will let you hear what Mrs. Young has to say....

We have been missionaries in Panama for over twenty-five years.  We did it a little different.  Our children were older when we became missionaries.  When we left for the field the first time, we left our son home! Michael stayed in America while my hubby, our daughter, Kimberly, and I left for Panama.  Michael graduated early from High School. While on deputation, he started college and then went into the Air Force.  As a teen, Kimberly adjusted very well to Panama. 

When our children were little, a friend gave me some very good advice.  It helped us a lot while our children were growing up and even more as missionaries.  Let your children be children.  They are not little adults.  They are not called into full-time service with you.  They are entrusted by God to your care for a time!  That advice sure helped when Michael was being a boy and when Kimberly didn’t want to go to another service after being in church every night for three weeks.  Let them be “just” children not the pastor’s son or the music director’s daughter!  God knows what He wants them to be.  We are to guide them but not to call them!

I remember another missionary wife sharing during a ladies meeting at a church what had happened to them on the field.  She told of how their home had burned down and they had nothing left.  One daughter went to her and asked if they could now go home to America.  The wise missionary wife told her daughter that even families in America have homes that burn down.  That has helped me when we were trapped in our home for eight days during “Just Cause” and when we have been robbed and even when my husband was robbed at gun point. 

There are two verses in the Bible that have helped me.  One is “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”  Romans 8:28 and the other is “. . . in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” Philippians 4:11.  It doesn’t matter what is happening to you, your hubby, your children or your family, the Lord is in control and He is allowing this thing to happen to bring Him honor and glory.    In whatsoever state (CA, SC, MD, MI or Country) I am in, I am the one that decides IF I will be content or if I will make life miserable for myself and the people around me!  The Lord and I make a majority!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 KIdZ kOrNEr
Children in Panama look forward to Christmas Eve or "La Noche Buena".  If the family is at all religious they will be at mass on that evening early.  At midnight the family will go out into the streets where they live and wish all their neighbors a Merry Christmas.  They watch their own or their neighbor's fireworks.
When they are finished wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, they go into their homes and have a big sit-down supper with turkey and ham, rice and chicken, bollos (corn rolls), rosca (Crown-shaped bread made with lots of butter), grapes and something to drink.  Sweets are not big items in Panama.  After eating everyone goes to bed.  There is nothing special on December 25.  The children have to wait until January 6 to receive their presents!  Could you wait until January 6?

 For more information on the Young's and their ministry in the country of Panama, you can go to their site!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're new to Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to stay a little while and look around.  You can connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment