Monday, September 24, 2012

The BEST Bread & Butter Pickles EVER

My husband pastored a church in North Atlanta for a while.  It was my first time ever living in the South...well, that far south anyway...  {I had only lived in ND, IL and AZ...and TN for Bible College...before this.}  There's something to be said for "southern cooks".  They may not always fix healthy food, but it always tastes good!  I like to tease that we moved back up north because I couldn't face the "competition".  :P

Here's a recipe for Bread & Butter Pickles that was given to me by one of our deacon's wives {Mrs. Betty Cox is one of the BEST cooks EVER!} 

 

You need:
  • 4 quarts of cucumbers {cut into chips}
  • 6 medium white onions {chopped}
  • 1 green pepper {chopped}
  • 1 red pepper {chopped}
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/3 cup salt
  • ice
  • **Vinegar, sugar and spices are listed below**

Prepare above ingredients and layer with salt.


Cover with ice and let soak for 3 hours.

 Discard ice and rinse salt off your veggies.  

In large stock pot mix:
  • 3 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 5 cups of evaporated cane juice {sugar}
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Turmeric
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons celery seed
  • 2 Tablespoons mustard seed
  • Your rinsed veggies


Bring mixture to a boil.  **Notice the nice white color.


Continue boiling until cucumbers change colors.  
**You can see how the cucumbers have change to a lightly darker color.


Once color changes you can put them in your jars.  Put hot cucumbers into hot jars and seal tightly.  Be sure all lids seal themselves.  If they don't, you may want to put them in a water bath for a few moments just to be sure they seal.  We don't want to waste all that food or time put into it!  {That would be a real pickle!!} 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We'd love to invite you to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. These look so good! My husband would love these - I'll have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good! I would love to try them! I have been afraid to try canning! I do have a question, though . . . it says "Cover with ice and let soak for 3" . . . is that 3 minutes, 3 hours? :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry!! That would be 3 hours. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem! Thanks for the clarification! ! ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds delicious! We are out of cukes now, but I'm saving the recipe! Thanks, dearie!

    ReplyDelete