Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Traveling Tip

The Holidays have come and gone and with them - hours and hours spent driving the country to see friends and family.  Our family spent a total of 18 hours in our van, although not all at one time!  Praise the Lord for that!



We love to travel.  We don't live near any family at all.  We have to drive almost 5 hours south to see my husband's family and 4 hours north to see mine.  Unless we plan to visit my parents and sister - then it's a 26 hour drive west - one direction.  {We didn't do that this time!}

Here's my favorite way to keep suitcases neat and organized with 4 children!


First, I plan what everyone is going to wear each day of the trip right down the tights, hair bow, and, ...achem, "undies".  {I didn't show everything in this picture.  These clothes belong to my oldest and she wouldn't be happy to know I flashed her, achem..."undies"... all over the internet, but they're there!}

Then, I take the entire outfit and put it in a 2 gallon Zip Lock bag....like so.....


That way, the kids can chose an outfit for themselves on any given day and they can do it without digging through the entire suitcase!  They just find the bag with the outfit they like; pull it out, and there you have it...!!

It saves a messy suitcase, lost clothes, and Mom doesn't have to go and help them find matching socks/tights or hair bows because it's already neat and organized!

I'm all for anything that helps make life easier - especially on vacation!!

I'd love to hear some of your favorite travel tips!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are so glad to have you here at Hidden Treasures.  We'd love to have you connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is linked with:

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Where do you get the 2-gallon ziplock bags? I don't think I've ever seen them.

    One tip I read that has really helped is to take along a pop-up hamper (I got mine from Walmart for less than $10). Use it to put dirty clothes (rather than the floor or trying to keep separate from the clean clothes in the suitcase). I always pack more clothes than what it is needed. I'll put all the dirty clothes in the larger part of the suitcase and the clean clothes in the smaller part which has a zipped cover. The pop-up hamper very easily crushes flat and stays in the suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea! Something we do, is to stop and do laundry somewhere during the trip (at grandma's house, or even at a laundry mat) that way we don't have to pack as many clothes and when we get home there is not a mountain of laundry to be done! Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my dear! I love the plastic bag idea! I have also done it where I pack all of the clothes for everyone in one day in one bag and then only get one bag out for the day. Just thought I would let you know that I awarded you with the Liebster Award on my blog - if you're totally confused as to what that is head on over to my post about it and it explains! I wasn't sure if you met the criteria because I couldn't see how many followers you have but you have blessed me so I decided to give it to you! <3 you!

    http://www.stringermama.com/2011/12/stringer-mama-liebster-award-winners.html

    ReplyDelete