Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Healthy Cosmetics

Let's face it, when it comes to makeup, I'm still a kid!  I love it!  I love to try new colors.  Lip gloss and eye shadows are my thing...in moderation, and, as long as it looks natural.  I have to be careful with my girls.  I have a hard time saying "no" when they ask me to let them wear some.  I like that they are girly and want to look the part, but we should probably be older than 8 when we start to wear make up!

Phthalates, which are synthetic chemicals found in plastics and other man made items, and they can also be found in make-up.  Phthalates are colorless, odorless chemicals that don't evaporate quickly.  They can be absorbed through the skin, ingested in contaminated foods, and inhaled in sprays and other cosmetics.  Studies have shown that phthalates can damage the liver, the kidneys, the lungs and the reproductive system, and especially the developing testes in the womb. 

Did you know that woman between the ages of 20 - 40 years of age have higher levels of phthalates (DBP) in their bodies than anyone else (which is especially dangerous for babies that they are carrying)?   We can safely assume that this is because DBP is found in toys, furniture, plastic containers, rain coats, shower curtains, and toiletries, including hair spray, deodorant, nail polish and perfume that you may be using everyday. 

SO!  Perhaps we should lose our minds, run crazy through our houses throwing all of our plastics out the windows,  and, never  EVER take showers, wear deodorant, nail polish, perfume, make up or  hair spray again!?!

Nah...my husband would object to that idea....   I'm pretty sure he would...

So, instead I have decided to do what I can to eliminate most of the DBP around our house, or at least some of it, by following this list

But there are a few other things you can do when it comes to cosmetics.

First, you can make your own deodorant.  It's easy and it works better than the store bought deodorants!

Second, you can switch to mineral make up.  I know, you are probably thinking you can't afford Mineral Makeup, but there are some lines of mineral cosmetics that don't cost as much.  I would recommend both Mary Kay and/or AVON.  Both have a line of mineral makeup that work for me and cost less.  

For more information on any and all Mineral Makeups (from prices to ingredients) you can go here

I happen to have friends that sell both Mary Kay and AVON, so if you need a Mary Kay consultant, or an AVON rep, just let me know!  I'd be happy to hook you up!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment