Monday, May 23, 2011

Inexpensive Hypoallergenic Deodorant

Today Lexxi and I made our first ever batch of Coconut Oil Deodorant.  It was super easy and it smells good too.  My husband wanted to know what the smell was.  Poor guy thought I was baking something.  I should have offered him a bite.  It is edible (until I added the tea tree oil).  But I wouldn't suggest eating it.

Here's what we did.....

Mix together 1/4 cup of Baking Soda, 1/4 cup of Cornstarch, and 5 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil.
I added a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil as well.

Mix together over low heat.

 Pour into empty deodorant container....like so.....
OK, it was hard to pour and take a picture at the same time, but I managed thanks to my
multitasking MOM powers! =D

Let cool...I'm impatient. 
I put it in the fridge for a while.

There you have it!!  We'll smell good AND have the healthiest underarms around.

Tips: 
  • Be sure the deodorant container you have doesn't have holes in the bottom of it.  The first one we tried had holes...and you know...where there are holes, things leak...  =( 
  • Organic Coconut Oil may work best ~  I read that here.
  • You need to buy 92 degree oil or store your deodorant in the fridge. 

The results:  It rubbed on smooth and felt nice and soft.  Didn't burn or sting.  By George (whoever he is?), I think I like it!  I think it works better than the TOMs brand!  I'm very excited about this.  Let me know if you try it and what you think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are so glad to have you here at Hidden Treasures.  We'd love to have you connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

  1. A friend sent me the link to this. Sounds interesting, and I may just try this! One question though, what is the consistency of the deodorant when it's on? Is it wet feeling? Did you feel like it worked well throughout the summer? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Kimberly!

    The deodorant goes on smooth - feels kinda powdery. I was using TOM's before I started making my own. I thought this was MUCH better than the TOM'S brand!! Worked great during the summer too! Let me know if it worked for you!

    ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had a chance to make this yet. Need to pick up some coconut oil! But, a friend and I were talking about it and she had the impression that you had to store this in the fridge all the time. Is that correct? I had the impression that you only put it in the fridge because you were impatient on it hardening up, but that you don't always have to keep it in the fridge? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kimberly! Thanks for the question!

    Most oils are liquid at room temperature, but you can find coconut oil that is solid at room temperature {which is necessary for solid deodorant}. You have to pay attention to the container the oil is in. It should give you a temperature in which that particular oil will be a solid. I believe you want the one that has a melting temperature of 92 degrees?? As long as the melting temperature is HIGHER than what you keep your home or wherever you plan to store your homemade deodorant. I hope this helps. =)

    ReplyDelete