Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Naturaly Disinfecting The Deep Freezer

A couple of years ago my husband bought me a deep freezer. It's probably one of my favorite things.  I can put so much in there.  Last year I had all kinds of veggies and breads and homemade pizzas in there.  All kinds of happy, healthy foods!

This year, not so much.  I haven't been able to have a garden this summer.  (Hopefully this fall...)  And when (IF) my husband decides to get me that wheat grinder...I will be in the kitchen baking and cooking and freezer cooking all the time! 

But first, since we are at an all time low in the freezer department, and since we just moved here from Arizona, I decided to disinfect, thaw, and generaly scrub that freezer!  And I did it naturally.

I didn't think to take before pictures.  There was some melted water and an orange popsicle on the bottom.  And there was lots of Arizona dirt on the outside, and some on the inside too.  (If you are from AZ, you won't think that strange.)

I didn't want to use bleach.  In fact, I never use bleach anymore.  (who wants to put food into a freezer where there could be Clorox fumes or residue?) I used vinegar and hot water - very safe and non-toxic.  It also disinfects just as well as Clorox would.  

I removed all of the food.  Then, I let all the ice (and the orange popsicle) melt.  Next, I dried out the bottom with some old towels.  I took my rag, vinegar/water solution, and little baking soda and I scrubbed the freezer till it was all white and clean.  It was actually not very hard.  Except for the corners.  I very nearly fell in trying to reach them.  So much fun...!  =)

Then I made sure it was all dried on the inside, plugged it back in and cleaned the outside.  There was more "yuck" on the outside of it because it had been sitting in the garage in AZ.  Lots and lots of dirt; but not anymore!  Good as new.

Like I said, we don't have much to put in there right now, but I plan to start my freezer cooking here in the next few days.  I can't wait to stock up on lots of healthy, convenient food!

I'm so excited to have a clean freezer and a plan to fill it up!  Now to put that plan into action....


This post is linked up with:

2 comments:

  1. I love vinegar cleaning too! I laughed when you mentioned AZ dirt. I lived there many years ago & remember it well. Enjoy filling your freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will. I loved AZ, but I don't need all that dirt in my freezer! lol

    ReplyDelete