Thursday, September 29, 2011

Childhood Doesn't Wait


I was sitting on a bench 
while in a nearby mall,
 When I noticed a young mother
 with two children who were small. 

The youngest one was whining,
 "Pick me up," I heard him beg
 but the mother's face grew angry 
as the child clung to her leg. 

"Don't hang on to me," she shouted 
as she pushed his hands away,
 I wish I'd had the courage
 to go up to her and say... 
"The time will come too quickly 
when those little arms that tug, 
Won't ask for you to hold them 
or won't freely give a hug. 

"The day will sneak up subtly
 just as it did with me, 
When you can't recall the last time
 that your child sat on your knee. 
"Like those sacred, pre-dawn feedings
 when we cherished time alone
 Our babies grow and leave behind
 those special times we've known. 

So when your child comes to you
 with a book that you can share,
 Or asks that you would tuck him in
 and help him say his prayer... 
"When he comes to sit and chat 
or would like to take a walk, 
Before you answer that you can't 
`cause there's no time to talk

Remember what all parents learn
 so many times too late, 
That years go by too quickly 
and that childhood doesn't wait

Take every opportunity,
 if one should slip away 
Reach hard to get it back again, 
don't wait another day." 
I watched that mother walk away
 her children followed near, 
I hope she'll pick them up before
 her chances disappear.

Author Unknown


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're new to Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to stay a little while and look around.  You can connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment