Thursday, January 26, 2012

The "Evil Eye"??

Psalm 32:8 ~ I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. 

Just as a mom can guide her children with a glance - if they are watching for her signs and willing to obey - so God guides His children with His eyes and teaches us the way we should go - if we're watching for Him and willing to obey!   
photo credit
I was flabergasted to learn that there are some who think that "the Look" is a bad thing.  You know, the look a mother gives her kids?  The glance that says, "you had better watch it.  You're treading on thin ice and you're going to be in hot water if you're not careful."   {not sure how THAT works!} 

I was told that some believe it wrong for your children to see a look from you and be afraid to carry through with something they plan on doing.  They feel that a child should never be afraid of their parent in any way.  I disagree!   I don't believe that a child should fear their parent.  I DO believe a child should be afraid to disobey his parent.  Just as we should be afraid to disobey our Heavenly Father.

I actually LOVE that I can communicate with my kids without saying a word!  I love that they can do the same with me.  And when a look is ignored, and I know it was seen, it is treated as disobedience at our house.  Here's why...

Because I love my children and I want to warn them to do right.  Sometimes our children don't realize what they're about to say could hurt someone's feelings or cause themselves to look foolish.  A simple "don't say it" look can stop allot of pain and frustrations or embarrassment to you and your child. It doesn't have to be mean and most of the time it will not even be noticed by others in the room.  And, if it is, who cares?  It's a look that is between you and your child. 

Not all "looks" are bad.  In fact, most are not!  I love to catch a glance from one of my kids that says, "hi, mom.  I see you watching me and I love you!"  I get to wink and smile "I love you" back to them!  My son is the one that sends me the most "love" messages in this way, and my daughters are not far behind him. 

I love to be able to calm a nervous mind or sooth a hurt feeling with a simple glance that says, "I saw what just happened.  I know it wasn't fair, but you'll be ok and we can talk about it later." 

I love to be able to say, yes or no, to those glances that ask, "can I have this or that?" from across the room. 

The other day, my oldest was annoyed by a certain kid.  I was watching from a distance to see how she'd respond.  {She can hold her own.}  If she had let lose and let the kid have it, I probably would have pretended not to see.  Just because this kid deserves it and it wouldn't be proper for me to walk over and deck him.  As I watched I could tell she was debating what to do.  

All of a sudden she glanced around and caught my eye.  So much for pretending not to know anything...  

When she caught my eye she immediately looked relieved.  Then her expression changed to "what do I do?"  I smiled a look that said, "I know he's annoying.  Just get away from him and ignore him.  Don't worry about him."   She did just that.  In fact, she came over to where I was and said, "Mom, I love that you can talk to me without talking!" 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're new to Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to stay a little while and look around.  You can connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is linked up with:
Your Thriving Family

No comments:

Post a Comment