Monday, January 16, 2012

Life in Canada - Part 1

Shane and Kristy Davis and their 4 children are serving the Lord as Missionaries in Canada.  In this post Kristy tells us all about the differences and adjustments that were most notable after moving from to Canada from her home in the Southern United States.  These are just a few of the things Missionary Moms face and it helps to know how to better pray for them on a daily basis.  

You can keep up with Kristy and her family at her blog, The Canadian Chronicles. 

First of all, we have some differences in currency. Not only do we have pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters as the coins here, but our $1 is also a coin. Below is a picture of the front and back of it. It is called the "loonie". On, the back is a picture of a loon bird.






Not only do we have a $1 coin, but also a $2 coin. It is called the "toonie". Boy, was this confusing at first! I would just stick them in my change purse when shopping, and later find that I had $20 in coins. Which was always a pleasant surprise!



When we first arrived, and I left Marshall in the nursery. I told the worker that his "passy", or "pacifier" was in his bag. You should have saw the way she looked at me. I later found out that what we call a "passy" in the south, is called a "Soother" here. Now, I've learned to ask the mothers if their child has a soother.


Now....if I were to go out walking or playing some sport back home, I would wear my "tennis shoes"(though, pronounced more "teeny shoes" in the south). Here, they are called "Runners". My friend told me she got new runners, I wasn't sure at first, but this one wasn't too hard to figure out.


When I took some yummy Oatmeal Caramel Bars to a church fellowship, someone asked me what they were. When I told them, they went on to tell me that in Canada, bars are called "Squares". I went on to question them...."What if it's a brownie?"---its' still a square...."What if I cut my bars out round?"--they are still called squares, no matter what shape they are. So... I came to the conclusion that I only have to teach the kids one shape here:0) Makes my life easier, eh?



Well, there is definitely going to have to be a follow-up post. But, for one last thing that is REALLY different in Canada--Easter!  This sign hangs as we walk in the door around Easter time. When this sign comes out of it's closet, there is NOT supposed to be snow on the ground, nor in the air!


It really has felt like spring here lately, with the grass starting to show, and the squirrels making their appearances. This week Colton and I saw the geese coming back...which was sooo exciting! Temps have been in the 40's, which feels like a heat wave...I haven't even been wearing a jacket. Well, anyways this picture was last Saturday; spring was in the air. Colton was learning to ride his bike with no training wheels. Dad had just washed the car--seeing as how in the winter we could not wash it without having a sheet of ice for a driveway.


And....the next day. You can't see it well, but it started snowing again, I was only brave enough to peek my head out with disappointment. Now, don't get me wrong, I have actually enjoyed the snow, but it is supposed to be sunny and 70 at Easter, Right??? Two inches fell overnight with 5 more on the way!!


So...I guess my sign will continue to encourage me each time that I come and go, that spring WILL be here soon! And, we'll dig out our white shoes to wear with our spring clothes (which is proper in the south only after Easter), but don't forget a sweater or parka over the top!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are so glad to have you here at Hidden Treasures.  We'd love to have you connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment