Friday, June 29, 2012

Encouraging Ourselves In the Lord - My Prayer Journal

The recent ruling of the supreme court had me frazzled.  Growing up a Military Brat, we were proud to be American, proud to be a part of "we the people".  I never thought anything like this would ever happen to MY country.  And the scariest part of all {for me} is that the American people don't want any of this to happen.  No one is listening to "we the people".  This is not the way our country was set up to operate.  Not American.  Unconstitutional.  Illegal.  So many questions and fears...

But we don't have to fear.  We MUST NOT fear!!  Fear is a lack of faith. We can't accomplish anything in fear.  And we are mothers and wives.  We have plenty to accomplish!!  :)

Here's what I do to quiet my heart and encourage myself in the Lord:


My husband knows I like to make lists, so he brought me this journal back from his recent trip to Peru.  I knew exactly what I was going to do with it when he handed it to me: A Prayer Journal!!

I keep track of my prayer requests by writing them on notebook paper and keeping them in a binder along with another list of answered prayer requests.  When a prayer request has been answered, it gets marked off the "Prayer Request List" and gets put on the list of "Answered  Prayers".

This new journal that my husband brought me is going to be used only for "Answered Prayers".  I'm so excited about this journal.  I can't wait until it's completely filled with answered prayers and I can move on to the next! 

I've found that the most encouraging thing I can do in troubled times is to read through all the things that God has done for me personally.  If He can do those things - some big, some small - who am I to think He can't do more of the same?  Especially when He promised to meet our needs and be right there with us the whole time!

If you don't have a prayer journal, I suggest you start one.  All you have to do is sit down and think of all the things God has done for you.  I'm thinking you could fill up a complete journal of all the things He's done in the past.  All the things He's provided.  All the ways He's blessed.  Write it down - all of it that you can remember.  When you can't think of anymore, put it down and do the laundry - that's what I did :P  - God will bring more things to remembrance.  You will be so completely amazed at all the wonderful things He's done for you and your family!!

Then, at the end of every day, you can add a few more praises and answered prayers in your journal.  It's amazing!  A new pair of shoes - even if from a yard sale.   Did you accomplish something you were dreading?  Did one of the kids complete a goal or reach a mile stone?  Maybe you're just thankful that the laundry got caught up?  {You can put as much or as little as you want in your journal.  It's yours.  And it's a great way to praise the Lord, and to remind yourself of the blessing and faithfulness of God!}

It may help you to have a prayer list too.  You can keep up with all the things you are asking God for.  You will be amazed at all the ways He provides!  You will learn that He blesses us far more than we realize and we take so much for granted!  My favorite thing to do with a prayer list is mark things off.  Even if they weren't answered according to my will.  They were answered and they can still go in the "answered prayers" column.  God is good and sovereign.  He knows what's best. 

If He has done all of these things for us in the past and the present, who are we to doubt what He can/will do in the future?? 

Don't have a prayer journal??  GET ONE!!  It's sooo encouraging!! 

Oh, and did I mention, it would be a great thing to leave to your children and grandchildren...a list of all the ways God blessed, and things God provided.  It's a great way to praise the Lord, encourage ourselves, and leave a legacy to our children. 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We'd love to invite you to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Journaling is so encouraging later on when you can look back at all the answered prayer too! You may be interested in a journal blog link up...

    http://beneaththesurface-dawn.blogspot.com/2012/06/random-journal-day-link-up-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a prayer journal in forever. That is a great idea!!! It was be a great way to encourage myself later too...to see all the good things God has done, too. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete