Thursday, August 2, 2012

They Cry for Tolerance, Yet There is None!

photo credit
As an American AND a Christian, I strongly believe that every man and woman has the right to believe what they want to believe.  That belief didn't start with our Founding Fathers.  It started in the Bible.  Jesus never forced Himself on anyone.  He did say that He was the Way and there was no other.  But He never forced anyone to believe Him, or to be saved.

I'm a Libertarian.  As a libertarian, I believe that everyone has the right to do, say, write, and be whatever they want to.  You can live by your own creed - mine just happens to be the Bible!  The role of government is to protect the people.  So, if you are doing something that's harmful to another person, you should be stopped.

Abortion is harmful to PEOPLE.  

photo credit
Babies are people and abortion KILLS PEOPLE.  Abortion also has physical, devastating, and life changing effects on the mother.  I am against abortion.  PERIOD.  I don't argue with people about it, but I don't feel any person has the right to end the life of another for any reason.

Were you raped?  You can accept the child as a blessing that came from tragedy, or you can chose to place the child in a home that will love him/her.  Is there a chance that the baby or the mother may die in the process of pregnancy and/or birth?  Let God decide what happens.  Trust Him.  He knows what is going on.  He knew and allowed you to become pregnant.  Maybe He will use you and your experience - whatever the outcome - to bring souls to Him.   It may be that they see HIM through You and your Faith in Him.  He is able to work it all out, save you, save the baby, get the glory and in due time others may be reached with the Gospel!! 


Everyone is crying for "tolerance".

I looked up the definition of the word, "tolerance".  According to dictionary.com the term, "tolerance" means, a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
Ahhh, that lovely word, "bigotry"....  Last night I posts a status on my facebook page about Chick-Fil-A.  I didn't think it was going to be a big deal.  This is after all, supposed to be a CHRISTIAN site!  My status said something about the fact that we don't have a Chick-Fil-A in our area, but from what I had heard, this whole "scandal" had not hurt them any.  I didn't think there was anything offensive in that.  I was simply referring to the fact that so many people are out there were standing WITH Chick-Fil-A for whatever reason.   Perhaps some are just sick of the fact that we are slowly losing our freedoms!!  {Not so slowly, really!}  

I actually had to delete that status because I had ladies arguing with me, calling me hateful for that status...hateful because I mentioned that Christian restaurant chain  didn't lose any business over their Christian beliefs???  I even had a lady drop a pretty big "naughty word" right there on my page and then get angry with me when I deleted it!  I let her say her say even though I deleted that one comment and she still thought I was being a "hater".  

Why is that when Starbucks comes out with a declaration of supporting "alternate life styles" and I decide NOT to go there, I get bashed??  I never once went to their page and called them names.  I could have.  I never once said anything hateful about them at all, even though I could have done that as well.  I simply shared the link with the information explaining WHY I had chosen not to re-visit their store.  {this was on my personal fb page}  I was amazed at the people, CHRISTIAN people - FRIENDS - that were opposed to me stating my own opinion on my own wall.  

Was I shocked at some of them?  Yes.  Was I mad at them for offering an opposing view point?  NO!!  Did I get defensive and try to prove why they should be of the same opinion I am?  NO!  I gave the information.  I explained my thoughts and feelings.  I made my decision and I stuck with it.  I am free to do this and so are you - free to agree - free to disagree.  {Opposed to my opinion is fine.  Opposed to me voicing my opinion is NOT!}

So, Why Then... 

photo credit
do so many people get all defensive when others of us say we are still going to frequent a restaurant who's owner has Christian view points?  So he gave his money to a few causes that some don't agree with.  News Flash:  that's his right!!  Once you have given someone money it becomes theirs to do with as they see fit.  If you don't like what he's doing with your money; don't give it to him.  End of story.  That would settle it.  

But there are SO many people that have been all worked up over it.  They call names, and yell and scream.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can go to Chick-Fil-A's fb page.  {I'm not even going to link over there because I'm so over this whole thing!!}   For more information on Cathey's interview you can go here.

This post is not about Chick-Fil-A.  It's about "tolerance".   They're all saying that Christians are "haters".  Biggot, crazy church lady, and zealot were all terms to used to describe me last night when I gave my view point and the reason for it.  I didn't call anyone any names as I could have done.  I didn't ban any one or delete any comments - except for the one comment with the offensive language.  I didn't say or do anything that could have hurt anyone.  

And, don't give me that, "it could hurt someone's feelings" argument.  It's a tough world out there, people, if that little status hurt someone's feelings, we've got issues!!  {And, I'm pretty sure we do!}  

photo credit
What about my feelings?  Where's the tolerance for those of us that feel these things are wrong?  Where's the tolerance for Christian ideas and view points?  What about the fact that this is MY page?  MY site?  Am I not allowed to have my own opinion on my own site anymore?  I should be allowed to say that the sky is orange and green with blue and purple polka-dots on my own site.  I should be allowed to believe whatever I want. 

The problem is not that we hurt feelings with our Christian beliefs.  The problem is that Scripture is convicting.  No one wants to be told they're living in sin.  No one wants to be wrong.  I know I don't.  I don't enjoy going to church and hearing the preaching and feeling the conviction that the Holy Spirit brings...  I don't like it.  It's not comfortable.  But it is necessary.  It is GOOD, even.  

As far as tolerance goes, it's been Christians that were tolerant throughout History.  The American belief that all men should be free to believe the way they chose was NOT new with our founding fathers.  It is a Christian belief that came over with our fore-fathers on the Mayflower and was handed down to them by theirs.  They were looking for a place where they could be free to worship as they chose.  At the same time they didn't force others to believe because their way because they felt EVERYONE should be free to believe in God - or not to.  

Tolerance is a good thing.  It's a Bible thing - not that God will tolerate our sin.  He will not.  But that we should allow others to believe the way they want without being ugly to them.  I believe we should live out and preach the Bible.  We are not commanded to force our convictions and our beliefs on others.  We are commanded to share the Bible and the Gospel with them.   The problem with this is that Scripture is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword.  It really does cut and hurt.  It really does "step on our toes".  You are free to preach your own beliefs.  But you are not, or should not, be free to stop me and my 'preaching'...even though I don't believe woman should be preachers....  Ooops, just opened another can of worms!! 

TOLERANCE, people, I need a bit here too....  :D  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We'd love to invite you to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.  Or you can choose to have our post delivered directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

  1. 100% agree! Poating a blog re: this shortly. So glad to see like minded posts!
    God bless!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. I recently got a note from a friend regarding the whole chick-fil-a thing and how she was sick of the angry/hateful things being shared via fb and will block/delete/hide those who continue to do so as she see's them on her page. that was a first for me. But I know that I am not sharing the hateful/angry things I see. That's not the Christian way to do things. I may get frustrated being labeled "intolerant" and post about that but I am never hateful or angry to a certain group of people due to their own choices. The choices they make are their own after all. It would be nice to see a little "tolerance" thrown our way too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings to you as you stand firm.<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The problem is that Scripture is convicting. No one wants to be told they're living in sin. No one wants to be wrong."

    100% agree! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It really is that simple Terra, scripture is convicting.

      Delete
  5. Hey. I actually just found out about this whole Chick-fil-A thing last night. Yes I am out of the loop. It took several people saying things about supporting Chick-fil-A on their facebooks before I looked up what the deal was. I've never even been to Chick-fil-A! I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with everything you said and am shocked about the comments you have received. We do live in tough times and I think we need to realize that these attacks are the beginnings of persecution. I hear Americans talk so much about the "great free country" we live in. Well, I do appreciate many things about the US, but there are actually other countries out there with more freedoms than we have here. We are quickly loosing our freedoms, and this only means that God will receive more glory when those who are true Christians stand up for the Bible. Thank you for standing strong!

    ReplyDelete