Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Meghan-Kate Our Mircale Baby

Our second child was born on July 20, 2004.  She was a beautiful 8 pound; 10 ounce baby girl.  We named her Meghan Kate-Marie. She had lots of dark hair and brown eyes.

But her skin was blueish.  I pointed this out to the doctor and was informed that it was "normal" and that her circulation was just not right yet.  I waited an hour and she didn't look any better.  To make a long story short, I told at least 3 people that something was wrong with my baby and no one would listen.  Finally we got a dietary aid (of all people!) to see things my way.  (Jeremy informed her that he was NOT Papa Smerf...)  So they took her away to check her oxygen levels and vitals. 

Three hours later I was still waiting on them to bring my baby back to me.  I asked one of the nurses who came to prick, poke, and prod me the way they do every hour after you have a baby.  She seemed shocked.  "You didn't know?"  Know what, woman?  Where is my baby?  is what I wanted to scream.  (I didn't.  I should have.  I didn't.)  She then proceded to inform me that my baby had been admitted to the NICU 2 1/2 hours before.  If I wanted to know more I had to go speak with the NICU staff. 

At the NICU we were told that she had 2 holes in her heart and her lungs were not completely developed.  She was on oxygen and had things attached to her.  She had needles in her hands and feet.  She looked terrible.  It was not something I was prepared for.

I was dismissed from the hospital without my baby.  We were still not sure what was going to happen with her. Our church was praying for her and a church that we knew across town was praying for her too.  In fact, they had a special service and prayer meeting just for her which meant more to me than anyone will ever know.

Then one day we went to visit her and we were told that she had been diagnosed with pneumonia.  We had previously been told that her lungs were clear.  I had specifically asked about pneumonia.   

At this point Jeremy and I were both a little put off.  We went to the cardiologist and demanded answers.  What about the holes in her heart?  What about the lungs that weren't developed?  What was going on?  The cardiologist seemed confused.  Which didn't help me feel any better about the situation.  He told us that the holes had healed up.  They were gone.  He couldn't explain it and he didn't really try.  He simply said that her heart looked better than most infants.  Her lungs were perfect except for some "merky clouds".  The doctors were never quite able to give us a clear answer to what happened. 

We were able to take our baby home the next morning.  We were so happy.  We still don't really know what was wrong with her.  It was as if the doctors were confused and didn't even know what to diagnose her with so they just settled for "pneumonia".   All we know is that God heard our prayers and healed our baby.  She hasn't had any symptoms or signs of heart or lung troubles since.  Meghan is our miracle baby!  She loves to hear the story of her birth.  "Tell me about the church that was praying for me." she says.  And we do.  We tell her what God did for her and how thankful we are to HIM for that!




2 comments:

  1. Aww, what a lovely story and blessing she is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely beautiful story! God knows and God heals! Thank You Jesus!!!

    <3 Sarah

    ReplyDelete