Sunday, May 22, 2011

My (new) Couponing Method

For a while there I was pretty good at the coupon thing.  Well, I take that back.  The best I ever did was to get $93.00 worth of food for $36.00.  I thought that was pretty good, and I was determined to do even better.

But then, I realized that I was buying mostly junk food.  I can't hardly think of a single thing that I could find coupons for that was actually healthy.  Kroger sent me some coupons for fresh veggies every once in a while and I did find some coupons for frozen veggies, nuts and pretzels a few times in the paper.  But, for the most part, I was bringing home fruit snacks, chips,  and granola bars that were 80% or higher sugar content.  I was finding great deals, but our eating habits were flying out the window.  I was stocking up on "lunch food", but none of it was fit to eat.  It was edible, just not fit to eat.

I decided to go a different route.  A much cheaper route than even coupons can take you.  Not only is it cheaper, but it's healthy and fun too.  What more could a mom want? 

In fact, with this route there are certain things I will never have to buy again!  Talk about saving money!  (Did I mention you really don't need coupons for things that you aren't buying?)
    My Coupon Rules:
    1. Never use a coupon for things you wouldn't usually buy.  (Unless you're getting it for free.)
    2. Go without things you don't need.  (Like shave gels for women...)
    3.  If it's not a healthy food...don't stock up on it. A once-in-a-while thing is OK, I suppose.  But don't stock up on it.
    4. Make as much as you can from scratch.  It's healthier and it's WAY cheaper! Here are some things I don't ever buy anymore...saves me so much money...
      • Laundry Detergent
      • Fabric Softener/Dryer Sheets
      • Wet Wipes
      • Bread Crumbs - those things are expensive and have you ever read the ingredients??
      • Chicken/Beef Stock
      • Jelly
      • Applesauce
      • Salsa
      • Pure Vanilla Extract - OK, I'm still working on this one.
      • Cleaning products - unless you want to call baking soda and vinegar cleaning supplies.  In that case I spend about $5.00 a month in cleaning supplies.  A little more if I need a weed killer... 


        Things I still use coupons for:
         
      • Razors
      • Shaving cream (for my husband)
      • Water Bottles
      • Light bulbs
      • Freezer bags
      • Trash bags 
      • Pull Ups
      • Paper products
      • Baking Soda
      • Vinegar
      • Fresh produce - those are few and far between
      • Frozen Vegetables
      • Whole Grain Pasta and rice - also few and far between
      • Cheese
    My point: 

    Coupons may save us money, but I don't think they are always best, at least, not if we are trying to raise strong, healthy children.   I am always amazed at the difference (both mentally and physically...and emotionally/socially) between children who are fed healthy food and children who are given cheap, processed, FAKE food.  (I've seen a difference in my own children too.)

      No comments:

      Post a Comment