Thursday, July 7, 2011

Women in the Workplace

I'm just old fashioned enough to feel that a woman is equal to a man in importance, but should play a completely different role in her family, in her church, and in her community.  Let the men have the jobs!  Homes would be happier, churches would be stronger and our country would benefit if women would go home to their children and raise them to work hard, to be thankful, do right and love God with a happy heart and a right spirit.

I know there are times and circumstances when a mom needs to work.  You have to do what you have to do.  As long as your husband is in full agreement with it, and you feel it is what God would have you do...then go for it.  Just remember your husband is the head of your home.  Regardless of who brings home more money, or who's job is more "important".

A note to single moms:
I understand that there are times when there is no husband in the picture for whatever reason.  Just do your best to train your children and love them and teach them to love God.  He will take care of you and your children if you put Him first.  He loves you and your children more than you love your children.  That's hard to imagine, isn't it?  And your children will follow your example and put God first in their lives too.  Just think of the great things your children can accomplish for God...and all because they had a mother who taught by example and put God first. 

Women in the Workplace:
Woman started working during World War II.  The men were all at war, so the woman stepped up and never went back home.  I don't have a problem with women working.  I think they should!  I love the idea of a wife and mother doing something to help provide the family with extra income. (that's one reason I'm trying my hand at this blogging thing...although I haven't yet made a penny.  But, the new friends are totally worth it!) I just don't think she should do it at the expense of her children.  Children need to know that mama is there and accessible if they need her.  They need to be able to depend on her to take care of them, keep secrets and offer advice.

It is my opinion that ladies can work outside the home before they are married to support themselves.  Married ladies can work outside the home before they have children and as long as their husbands agree.  And mothers should raise their children while working.  That could mean staying home, taking the kids with you, or working while they are at school (or at the school they attend).

I prefer to stay home regardless, so that I can see to the food, home, laundry, homework, lessons, whatever else comes up...and there's plenty of "whatever else" around my house, believe me!

Before women went to work:
Before women went to work, homes were stronger. The divorce rate went up drastically after World War II. Why?  Because the men came home and their wives refused to do the same.  They copped attitudes and demanded their rights.  After all, they should be able to make money of their own too!  They had tasted the thrill of making money and controlling it.  They weren't ready to hand it over and go back where they belonged.  What happened?  The men said forget it, and found ladies that wanted to be wives and mothers.  A man likes a woman who depends on him.  They like to provide and they like to do the majority of it alone.  Makes them feel macho!  This is not because they feel bigger and better.  It's because it's the way God made them.

I must say, I'm OK with my husband feeling bigger than me.  I wouldn't want to feel bigger than him, I'll tell ya!  

Before women entered the workplace, children were more secure and less demanding.  Families today, think they need X amount of money to provide enough junk to "keep up with the Jones".  Really, they need to learn to be content with such things as they have. I was shocked every Sunday in my Jr. Church class when little children would respond to the snack or candy that I offered as if it wasn't good enough for them.  They acted that way because they were used having whatever they wanted at home.  A piece of gum or cookie is no longer a treat to be thankful for when your parents buy you all the latest computer games and gadgets you ask for!

My husband and I have decided that we will not buy things for our children just because they want them.  If they need them, we'll do our best to provide them.  If they want them...they can get a job, pray it in, or wait for their birthday.  We give each child one gift on their birthday and 3 on Christmas.  I know parents that think we're mean to hold back, but I think it's made our children thankful.

(And our money stretches farther too...groceries are a good thing, you know!)

Our youngest is about to be 4 on Saturday.  She asked a friend of ours to get her a box of Lucky Charms for her birthday.  I know her, and I know she'd be thrilled with that!  Totally and forever...and I'm being serious.  Mostly because Lucky Charms are a No-No at our house - unless Daddy sneaks them in.

My point is simply that we, as mothers, can train our children to work hard by working with them at home.  We can train them to be thankful by being thankful for what Daddy (God) has provided.  We can train them to be thrifty by shopping yard sales, and looking for coupons, or growing our own food.  We can train them to be creative by coming up with ways to earn extra money at home.  We can train them to smile and praise the Lord by smiling and praising the Lord.

OR...we can train them to be grumpy, complaining, miserable people by being grumpy, complaining, and miserable.

4 comments:

  1. There are so many things that I just didn't see about my place AT home, until I had been here for years! The sad thing is, that is exactly what the devil wants to do: blind us and then when we see it, it's too late. I LOVE being a keeper at home! No one loves my kids like I do, no one prays for them like I do. I love just being available to them for whatever they need, whether it's to talk about something, for me to run them the extra set of keys when they lock theirs in the car or to have time to cook them a special meal. I love being here for my family, for just whatever they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Sandra! You're right. Nobody knows your kids like you do and nobody prays for your kids like you do. That's why mamas are sooo important. Just think what a difference we could see in this country if mamas would care for their kids and pray for them and the things that effect them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with ya! I'm so happy to be the one who cares for my children and greets my husband when he comes home. As far as your gifting goes, we're even a little tighter at our house. Each of our four children receive one gift at Christmas from us. There are many more from grandparents, friends, and other family. They each get something really big at birthdays. It saves money, but it also helps us keep the focus on Christ.
    I've enjoyed visiting your blog! I found you through Raising Mighty Arrows. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lauren! I'm glad to know I'm not the only stingy mom out there. lol It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete