Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Healthy Roast Rub

Have you ever checked the ingredients on the back of your seasoning packets like gravy, taco seasoning, chilli seasoning, condiments or marinades and rubs?  I will admit, I've probably wasted hours reading ingredient labels at the grocery store.  (Can you say MSG overload?)  In the end, I gave up!  I'd just rather avoid as many chemicals and additives as I can. 

SO, I found a recipe and I changed it a bit.  OK, I changed it quite a bit, but we loved it.  When your husband says the only thing wrong with your roast is that it falls apart, it's a good thing!  

Here's my recipe:
 
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS lemon or lime juice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 pork loin roast
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried leaf oregano
1/2  tsp cilantro
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt


Plan A -
(If you're using the oven.) 

Mix your oil and lemon/lime juice.  Roll your roast in the mixture.  Mix your dried herbs together and rub on your roast.  Put your roast in the refrigerator over night and let it marinade.  Put it in the oven and roast it (covered) for an hour at 350 degrees.  Remove covering and return to oven for another 30 mins or so.  Serve and Enjoy!

Plan B -
(If you're using the crock pot - my personal favorite option!)

Thaw your meat.  Rub all over with oil and lemon/lime juice.  Mix and rub all your dried spices on your roast and throw in your crock pot with half cup of water.  Let cook all day...remove from crock pot and serve!  SO easy!! 

*** I need your help!  I can't seem to come up with a good name for this rub though, so if you have any good ideas let me know!  Until then it shall remain plain, old unromantic "Roast Rub".***


{Thank you for taking the time to read my post.  If you enjoy this blog, you can follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook.  Or you can sign up to have our post sent straight to your email or RSS feed.}  


Linked up with:


    Raising Homemakers

    No comments:

    Post a Comment