Friday, August 19, 2011

Organizing School Lunches

Well, we decided to put our children into the Christian school.  They are doing well so far, and are having fun. =)

But, I had to get back into the "swing of things".  It's been so long since I've had to pack lunches!  I used to have the whole 'school lunch thing' down to a science.  I had everything packed  (or bagged) and ready to go by Sunday night.  All of the lunches we needed for the entire week were ready to go.  Some of the things were in the freezer, some in the fridge, some in the pantry; but everything was ready to be grabbed and put into lunch boxes!  I had a list on the side of the fridge of what was for lunch on what day.  It was so easy and fast!

Every lunch should have at least 3 courses:

(At the last school the girls went to, I put 4 things in their lunches.  But this school doesn't give them a "snack time", so they get 3 things instead.)
  1. Main Course
  2. Side Item
  3. Dessert
Every lunch should contain 5 food groups:
  1. Whole Wheat/Grains
  2. Vegetables
  3. Fruits
  4. Dairy and/or Protien
  5. Dessert...gotta have fun.  They are at school where other kids are eating tons of junk food.  I used to not ever send these types of things because I wanted my kids to be healthy.  But then I realized that I wasn't being fair.  AND - I don't want to make them HATE being healthy because it's no fun at all.  Healthy IS fun and I'm out to prove that!  So, I don't pack any packaged, pre-made, sugary, snacks.  I make them myself!  It's fun, healthy and way cheaper!
Tips: 
  1. I never pack bananas, simply because everything in the lunch box will taste like a banana.  I don't know about you, but I don't care much for banana pizza or banana chicken strips!  I have sent them separately in the book bag and not the lunch box, but it was not eaten and completely forgotten about.........until about 2 months later.  How does a kid carry a rotten banana around in a book bag for that long and no one know it??  I'm still trying to figure that one out.  Actually, I really don't want to know.  It's just better that way.  
  2. Leftovers are awesome!  I plan ahead some weeks and make more than we need for dinner so that I have at least 2 additional helpings for school lunches.  (Sometimes, if we have "unplanned" leftovers and I don't have that particular thing on my lunch menu for that week, I will put several servings in the separate containers and then put them in the freezer.  Then I have them for the next week or month.)

    If I am planning on serving something for dinner AND for lunch the same week, I will make sure that there is a day between the meals.  For instance, if I plan on putting chicken pot pie in the girl's lunches on Wednesday, we will eat it for dinner on Monday.  That way they aren't eating it twice in a row and getting tired of it. 
Next Week's Lunch Menu:

Monday:  
Homemade Pizza Pockets ~ (Protein, Whole Wheat, Veggies)
Nuts and Raisins ~ (Grains, and Fruit/Dessert)
All Natural Baked Potato Chips ~ (I don't know, but they taste good!)

Tuesday:
Homemade Chicken Strips ~ (Protein and Whole Grain)
Carrots and Cucumbers with Ranch ~ (Veggies)
Yogurt and Blueberries ~ (Protein/Dairy and Fruit/Dessert)


Wednesday:
Tuna Salad with Whole Wheat Crackers ~ (Protein, Veggies, and Whole Grain)
String Cheese ~ (Protein, Dairy)
Peach ~ (Fruit/Dessert)

Thursday:
Bean (or Chicken) Burritos ~ (Protein, Veggies)
Chips and Salsa  or Avocado Dip ~ (Veggies)
Grapes ~ (Fruit/Dessert)

Friday:
Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwiches on Whole Wheat Bread ~ (Protein, Whole Grain, Sweet Enough (no dessert required =)
Broccoli and Snow Peas with Ranch ~ (Veggies)
String Cheese ~ (Protein/Dairy)

Sometimes on Friday I will send an extra "surprise" because it's Friday!!  YAY!  So, I would send some Chocolate Chip Cookies or something like that.

This post is linked to:




1 comment:

  1. We've been home schooling for years and lunch has ALWAYS been a problem for us. I think I might "borrow" your menu. :)

    ReplyDelete