Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Laundry; Lovely, Lovely, Laundry

Well, I told you all the things that could possibly be worse than doing laundry, but now, I'm going to tell you the things I do to make laundry fun.  Or at least a little better than it used to be.  

Here's my laundry list of things that help improve the laundry situation around here:   
  
More Laundry Decor
  1. Decorate the Laundry Room.  I actually have a laundry room here at this house and I love it.  It's small, but it's a room!  I find that if I decorate it with things I enjoy {like antique laundry 'equipment'} I like being in there more.  I have a friend that just painted her laundry room BRIGHT green!  It looks great and she loves it.  Why not enjoy the way it "feels" to be in your laundry room?  {And keep it organized!  That's a big part of feeling comfortable in there too!  Keep your shelves and piles of clothes neat.  You'll like to be in there much more!}
  2. Make your own laundry detergent and fabric softener.  It's cost about a penny/load and works just as well.  At least now I don't have to worry about how much laundry detergent I've used, how much is left and how much longer it will last.  {It helps with our eczema too.}  This also helps me to feel more "in control" of my laundry situation.  I feel like I've met a challenge and I've come out on top!  If I can save that much money at it, it can't be all that bad...right?  It's nice being the boss in your own laundry room!
  3. Have all the kids help fold and put their own laundry away.  Young children can learn to fold wash cloths and small towels and match socks and fold undies and small things.  Older children can and should fold their own clothes and put them away in their drawers neatly.
  4. Laundry Party!  When I get behind, I wash it all and then throw it all the bed.  I call all of the kids together and I set the timer.  I'm always shocked at how much we can get done in 15 minuets if we all buckle down and work together.  The rules are: everyone folds their own laundry and we all work on towels.  {For younger children, I let them do their best and I help when they ask for it.  I don't go behind them and re-do anything.  At least not when they can see me.  Accept their best as perfection.  {If it truly is their best.}  Praise them for their best and be thankful that they did it with a good attitude.  
  5. Play music.  Sing songs together.  
  6. Plan something fun to do when the laundry is finished.  Even if it's something small like taking a walk or enjoying a Popsicle or a cup of  hot cocoa.  Watermelon seed spitting contests are fun.  Just sayin'.  Or you could decorate the front porch for fall!  That would get TWO things done. 
  7. Be thankful that you have clothes to fold.  I told you I had a terrible time with laundry in the early years of our marriage. Through the years, I've seen God provide clothes and things in such wonderful ways!  It's hard not to be thankful for the things we have.  Clothes are no exception.  I'm very thankful that our children have nice clothes to wear.   What better time to tell Him so than while you're folding them?  You might find yourself doing a better job with this kind of attitude as well.
  8. Keep the laundry reasonably caught up.  If you only have a load or two at a time you won't feel so swamped that you don't know where to start.  And you won't wonder where that certain piece is that you never can find.  This is especially helpful on Sundays!  I try to do yesterday's laundry today.  And then tomorrow I'll do today's.  That way I'm only ever a day behind. 
  9. Use your bath towels twice.  Hang them to dry out after the first use and re-use them.  This will keep the laundry from stacking up so quickly.  Or, let 2 small kids share one towel.  They are clean when they get out {at least that's the goal}.  Use the same towel to dry the water on the bathroom floor when showers are done.  Wash a load of towels and napkins each night.  
  10. And last, but not least, adopt the Nike slogan - "Just Do It"!   I've found that it gets done faster and it's not as painful when you just do it.  Get to it.  Get it done and you don't have to worry about it anymore!  That's a wonderful day!!!!!


Happy Laundry Day!!  =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're new here at Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to stick around and hang out a while!  You can hook up with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can chose to have our post sent directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. In one of my laundry rooms in the past I had border around the top that had antique laundry washboard, iron, and other things. It always made me happy looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does help you to enjoy being in there. A quiet peaceful, pretty feminine place is what I imagine for a home that we hope to buy someday...

    ReplyDelete