Sunday, September 11, 2011

Showing Love Overseas


Kendra McBee is a missionary helper that has served the Lord in several countries including Thailand and Zambia.  She has a heart for missionaries and people that need to hear the Gospel.  I think you'll enjoy her post.  I did!

Kendra writes....
I LOVE MISSIONS. As a child, I had always wanted to travel, see the world, and share Christ with people in different languages. The Great Commission is pretty simple to understand, and when I was little I couldn't wait to expand my outreach on the Gospel. More importantly, I wanted to get to know everything about missionaries and their lives.
I often wrote missionaries growing up- asking them questions about their day-to-day lives, learning about their favorite aspects of the mission field, what they missed the most, what they didn't miss! I soon realized that they were, in fact, just like me. I couldn't wait to get out and meet some of them.
My missions outreach trips have thus far included Thailand and Zambia, and something I've done while on my trips is get a list of favorites from the missionaries and their children. When I would return home, I would begin to work on a package to send back over. Things such as Hershey's Almond Bars, Claire's jewelry, Aussie hair products, teaching supplies (the Dollar Store has GREAT items for this), walnuts, and so much more have been included in a few of these. I send out about two a year to different missionaries, and oh the response it has gotten!!!
Talk to your missionaries! Find the ones your church supports and get some ladies together and show some love! There are mothers on the field who are tired and need a pick-me-up, there are wives on the field who quietly sacrifice without different toiletries we are so blessed with, and there are women teaching their children who wouldn't mind some new ideas to use in the homeschooling classroom or with the children they teach on the field in a foreign school. Even a card is so meaningful. Send one and throw in a funny picture or a joke for them to smile at! I know a man who used to send his Wendy's hamburger wrappers to one of my missionary friends in Thailand because they didn't have any fast food there at the time. It sounds so silly, but it meant so much!
Is a package costly? Yes, I usually spend around $30-$60 on one. It's money well spent, folks. If you get five ladies or families involved, that's $6-$12 each. You won't regret it!
I'm not a mother, but I look forward to one day having my children pen pal up with some missionary children. Get their addresses. Have them send pictures or do a picture scavenger hunt with the children in another country. Send pictures of your favorite flower or food in America, and there's a good chance you'll get the same if the missionaries are able to do so. If they don't have access to a camera, DRAW THE PICTURES. Children love this! A young lady in Zambia wrote me a letter recently. She took the time to draw me a picture and make an origami of her favorite animal. It's great! To ensure a return back, it might help to throw in postage for a return letter if possible.
Let's show love overseas. Yesterday was a day of remembrance for our country, but let's also change today spiritually and make it a choice to remember those who are serving Christ where we cannot.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 KIdZ kOrNEr



Saying hello in Thai!
My favorite way to say hello is the way they greet each other in Thailand! It's simple and sweet, and I loved doing it every chance I got! It's easy:
1. Stand straight.
2. Put your hands in a praying position facing upwards on your chest.
3. Bow.
4. Say "Sah-what-dee-kha" if you are a girl and "Sah-what-dee-krahp" if you are a boy.
5. Try it with a friend!
Here's a picture of Ronald McDonald at a McDonald's in Thailand. Even he greets properly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're new here at Hidden Treasures, we'd love to invite you to stick around and hang out a while!  You can hook up with us on Facebook or Twitter.  Or you can chose to have our post sent directly to your E-mail or RSS feed.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our posts!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is linked to the Homestead Barn Hop!

and

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. My son is a single missionary in Haiti. We can not send packages to Haiti because the charges for him to retrieve them are, for the most part, more than the value of the package. Before the cost of airline baggage went up, we could send things with others that were traveling down. Now, we can only email, skype, and call on the phone. So when someone asks what they can do for him I tell them I can put money in his account. This really blesses him as his stipend from the board barely covers his basic needs. If you want to bless a missionary, ask his/her family state-side. They will know what's best. Also, if you're traveling out of the country, find out what you can bring missionaries where you are going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart. Our family has a heart for missions; especially building personal connections with them overseas. Being a home school mother and a pastor's wife, my heart has always been to encourage families to build connections with those serving on the mission field. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete