Thursday, October 10, 2013

Chilli Supper

Autumn is my favorite season of all...till winter comes.  ;)  There's nothing better in the fall/winter season than a pipping hot bowl of chilli!  My favorite thing about chilli is the options that go along with it! 

As with any recipe, you may need to adjust and change it to meet your family's taste and likes.  We like it spicy. 




Ingredients:

1 pound dry pinto beans
1 pound dry kidney beans
1/2 pound black beans
1 pound ground venison or bison
1 quart salsa - or a jar of your favorite store bought salsa
2 cans of dices chillies and tomatoes
2 Tablespoons of chilli powder
1 Tablespoon oregano
2 cloves of minced garlic
chopped onions
cilantro, salt, & pepper to taste

Soak your beans overnight to help break down the sugars. This will help reduce the unpleasant side affects that usually accompany these "musical fruits".  If ya know what I mean...?

If you forget to soak your beans, you can use the "quick soak" method, which I've never used, but I'm told it works well - you simply throw the beans in a pot of water.  Bring it to a boil.  Boil for about 3 to 4 minutes.  Remove it from the heat, and let it set for an hour or 2.

**If you don't have dry beans, you can use:  6 cans of spicy chilli beans & 3 cans of kidney beans.  This method will require fewer herbs and spices, since your canned beans will have spices in them already. ** 

In the morning, I rinse the soaked beans and put them in a crock pot along with the salsa, canned tomatoes/peppers, browned, ground meat and spices.  Add water until all is submerged.  Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

(This recipe feeds about 6 to 8 people.)

Let the options begin.....

Serve chilli with:
Crackers
Corn chips
Corn Bread
Cheese
Sour Cream
Chives or Green Onions
Brown Rice
Pasta - (I really don't prefer this, but my husband grew up eating spaghetti pasta chopped into inch log strips and thrown in till soft.  I really can't stomach it, but you can divide the chili and add pasta to half of it.)
Organic Beef Franks and saurkraut
Organic or homemade french fries and cheese

I would love to hear back from you.  Leave a message below to share your favorite chili recipe and sides with all of us!

Click here for my white chili recipe.
Click here for my sweet chili recipe.

Photo Credit



 

No comments:

Post a Comment