Friday, March 11, 2011

The Sickly, Sickies and Psychos

I've been stuck in the house with a bunch of sickly children and a few adult sickies too. We've had a double ear infection, a few different throat infections, lots of head aches and some pretty high fevers.   (Add all of that together and you get one psycho mama!)  So, as you can imagine we are going through the meds around here.  And by "meds" I mean herbs.  We have used things like garlic and olive oil for ear infections.  Rubbing alcohol for temperatures that get out of hand (OK, so, that's not an herb), and Zinc, Echinacea-Golden Seal Complex and Kyolic Garlic Immune in stead of antibiotics.  (Coloidal Silver is a great one too.)  I've had to use Motrin twice for pain relief, but other than those 2 occasions, we've been able to treat any and all symptoms and problems with herbs and natural remedies.  It's nice to know that my children are on the road to recovery and that without chemicals and harsh ingredients that can cause other problems and side effects.

I try to cook healthy all year and use herbal supplements and extra vitamins to keep our immune systems in gear when there are diseases and germs floating around.  This usually works for us, but sometimes even the best attempts fail.  So, what have I learned from this?  Beside the fact that we haven't been eating healthy in recent weeks, like we usually do, which probably plays a HUGE factor, I have learned that I don't know enough about herbs.   So, with the help of a friend, I am about to set out on a new journey.  I'm going to learn more about herbs and natural remedies.  (What good is it to rid ourselves of chemicals in our food if I'm shoving chemicals down their throats every time they get a runny nose?)  I love to think that my kids will be healthier because of the work and time I put into them, after all that IS my job.  That's what I'm here for...to do the best I can for those 4 wonderful little treasures that God has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment