Thursday, July 28, 2011

Homemade Beef Stock

Beef stock is one of those things that I NEVER buy.  Have you ever read the ingredients on the back of any kind of stock?

It's easy to make and it's FREE when you make it at home and there's so much you can do with it.  (Store bought stock is expensive.)

Here's how I make my beef stock:

First, I cook my hamburger meat in water.  I add mushrooms, onions, seasonings, whatever I want to season my meat with.  

When the meat is finished cooking I strain it over a bowl.  All of the beef flavored water drains into the bowl.   Then I return the meat mixture to the pan where I can finish my meal.

Here's my "beef stock"!  
I can use it right away to flavor soups, mashed potatoes, make gravy...there's so many things you can do with it!

Or, you can save it in a jar.  
You can put it in the fridge until you need it.  
Or, you can save it up and can it for a delicious winter soup!


It's that easy!  It doesn't look like much but after a week, I usually have enough to work with; and I did it without spending money or feeding my kids any of those additives and preservatives!   Definitely a Win-Win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment