Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Homemade Amish Caramel

Homemade caramel!

Too bad the term "homemade" doesn't always mean "healthy" because I'd love to tell myself that these little goodies are healthy, but alas, they are not.   Not is any way, shape, or form.  <pout>

They are, however, very yummy and super easy to make.  They also make a fabulous gifts and/or fund raisers!  We're preparing for a yard sale and we're planning to sell a bunch of this as well as all the junk {valuable goodies} that are being stored in our basement at this present moment. 

Amish Caramel

2 c. white sugar - yeah....
2 c. heavy cream - hey, I used the organic stuff...that makes it a little bit better right?
1 3/4 c. corn syrup -  .....O.K.!!  Never mind....
1 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla


 

Boil sugar, syrup, butter, and a little of the cream.

 
Add the rest of your cream slowly as the mixture boils. Continue stirring.  Don't allow to stop boiling.

   Boil until it forms a soft ball (236-240 degrees). Then add vanilla.



Pour into a buttered pan. Cool. Cut into squares and wrap in wax paper...this is when you're really glad you have children!!  This is an easy job, but it sure does seem to take forever!! :) 


 There you have it!!  Throw a few of these in a cute little bag with some shred and a raffia ribbon and you're set! 

Now, we pray for a good turn out on yard sale day....!!  

8 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome. I have a few questions though. Is the caramel hard enough to be put in a small box - like you would get at the shore :)
    Also what size pan did you use. I would love to make this for a fundraiser I'm involved with in a few weeks. How far ahead can I make it? Should it be refrigerated?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do tend to melt if left out in the sun. At least ours did while my son was selling them at our yard sale. But they can be wrapped and put in a box or bag. We did cute little plastic bags with ribbons from hobby lobby. I used a 9X13 pan. You can keep it in the frig, but you don't have to. I don't suggest making them weeks ahead of time though. We did that once and they weren't as good. But, a few days to a week in advance may not be so bad. I hope you like them and make tons of money!! :)

      Delete
    2. I so am doing these for holiday partys with chocolate fountain. .. will let you know it works out.... : )

      Delete
  2. They are good dipped in chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get it right I have it at a soft ball temp but it comes out to soft more like ice cream topping if I rewarm it again it gets to hard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get it to harden correctly how long should I keep it at soft ball temp because it's comes out like ice cream topping than if I reheat it and try to bring to soft ball temp again it's to hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular caramel has never been very hard for me, but still it shouldn't be like ice cream topping. Could you have too much butter?? (And, sorry I haven't responded before now!)

      Delete